Important Things to Know About Roofing
It’s important to work with an experienced roof service company to ensure that your roof is installed correctly and that you have a wide selection of material choices from top-rated brands. Yet there’s so much more to roofing than just selecting your contractor and the roof type. To help you better understand everything that’s involved in roofing, Fields Roof Service has pulled together a Roofing 101 guide.
What Makes Up Your Roof
Nearly all types of steep-slope roofing systems are comprised of five major parts.
- Covering: This is the part that most of us think of as the “roof.” It’s your shingles, metal, tile, slate and the like, as well as the underlayment.
- Sheathing: These are the boards that attach to the roof rafters.
- Structure: Rafters and trusses support the sheathing.
- Flashing: These are small strips of sheet metal designed to cover any joints, valleys or penetrations in the roof.
- Drainage: This is a design feature that helps your roof drain off water.
Whether you have a flat or steep-slope roofing system, you’ll choose from a variety of roofing materials. These include the following:
- Asphalt shingles, including 3-tab, architectural & designer
- Shakes & shingles
- Concrete & clay tile
- Flat roofing systems, including modified bitumen, ethylene propylene diene terpolymer (EPDM), thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) & built-up roofing (BUR)
You also need to consider insulation and ventilation. If not, your roof may overheat and deteriorate faster. You should have your roofer determine whether you have enough insulation and ensure that ventilation systems are not being blocked.
Get Started With the Roof Service Company That Cares
Fields Roof Service knows that getting your roof repaired or replaced can seem like a daunting task. That’s why we’ll gladly walk you through all your options, give you our qualified recommendation and answer any questions that you have. Schedule a free quote by calling (253) 852-4974, or you can fill out our online form.