Shingle blow-offs are every homeowner’s nightmare. They occur when high winds or other factors cause your roof shingles to become damaged or completely detached, leaving your home vulnerable to the elements. In this blog post, top professional roof service company Fields Roof Service, Inc. helps you understand the causes of shingle blow-offs, how to identify them, and how to deal with them to protect your home.
Causes of Shingle Blow-Offs
Shingle blow-offs are caused by several factors, including:
- High Winds. Strong gusts of wind can lift and detach shingles from your roof, leaving it exposed to further damage.
- Improper Installation. Shingles will likely come loose and blow off during a storm if not installed correctly.
- Aging and Wear. Over time, shingles can become brittle and more susceptible to blow-offs as they reach the end of their lifespan.
Importance of Professional Roof Service
Although trying and fixing shingle blow-offs yourself can be tempting, you’re better off relying on a professional roofer to handle the problem. A DIY approach can be dangerous, as working on a roof carries the risk of falls and injuries. A roof service company has the expertise to accurately diagnose the issue and perform the necessary repairs to protect your home.
Roof Repair Process for Shingle Blow-Offs
A roofing professional will typically follow these steps:
- Inspection and Assessment. A trained expert will inspect your roof to determine the extent of the damage and identify the cause of the shingle blow-off.
- Repairing or Replacing Damaged or Missing Shingles. Based on the assessment, the professional will repair or replace the affected shingles, ensuring they are securely attached to the roof.
- Additional Preventative Measures. In some cases, the roofing professional may recommend additional measures, like installing wind-resistant shingles or reinforcing your roof, to prevent future blow-offs.
Preventing Future Shingle Blow-Offs
Consider the following preventative measures to minimize the risk of shingle blow-offs:
- Regular Roof Maintenance and Inspections. Schedule routine inspections and maintenance to keep your roof in good condition and identify potential issues before they escalate.
- Proper Shingle Installation: Ensure that shingles are installed correctly by a professional roofer to reduce the risk of blow-offs.
- Invest in High-Quality Materials: Opt for premium-quality shingles when investing in a new roof. Go for those that can withstand wind speeds of up to 130 mph.
Contact a Trusted Roofing Company
Dealing with shingle blow-offs can be daunting, but addressing them promptly is essential to protect your home from further damage. Trust Fields Roof Service, Inc. in Kent, WA, to provide expert roof repair and maintenance services that will keep your investment in top condition. Call us at (253) 852-4974, or fill out our contact form to request a quote.